Bulgaria is a European country located south of Romania, my country. In recent years the cou8ntry is getting more popular with its wide variety of things to do and many historical places such as Veliko Tarnovo, Plovdiv, Sofia. Here we share over 30 facts about Bulgaria. Many of them are less known even in the country itself.
Bulgaria is an extremely affordable and beautiful country for tourists with lovely villages, amazing nature, delicious food, and friendly people. The country is famous for its rich history and well-preserved traditions kept for hundreds of years. However, the country although not so popular around the world this will soon change.
Here are some of the top 30+ Facts About Bulgaria
1. Established in 681 AD., Bulgaria is one of the oldest European countries
2. Bulgaria is the only country in Europe that hasn’t change its name.
3. Bulgaria ranks third in Europe after Italy and Greece for its valuable archaeological monuments.
4. The oldest autocephalous Slavic orthodox church in the world is Alexander Nevski.
5. The Bulgarian army has participate in many battles and proudly never lost a single flag.
6. With Bulgaria joining the EU on January 1, 2007, the Cyrillic alphabet became the third official alphabet of the EU.
7. The oldest golden treasure in the world, dating back more than 6000 years, was founded in Bulgaria.
8. In 1976, UNESCO declared the ancient Bulgarian calendar as the most accurate in the world.
9. Plovdiv is the oldest inhabited city in Europe.
10. Bulgaria rank on forth place per capita university education in the world.
11. US Space Probe Voyager I care in space the Bulgarian folk song “Izlel e Delyu Haydutin”.
12. Forests cover almost one-third of Bulgaria.
13. The first air-dropped bomb in military history was developed by the Bulgarian Air Force during the First Balkan War, on 16 October 1912.
14. The Bulgarian Rayna Kasabova is the first woman in the world who participated in a military flight.
15. The highest peak on the Balkan Peninsula is in Bulgaria, Musala peak, located in Rila Mountain and rising at 2925m above the sea level.
16. The world famous ancient hero called Spartacus was born in the country as well as home of the Thracians,
17. 85% of the world’s rose oil is produced in Bulgaria, in Bulgaria’s Rose Valley (Kazanlak). Rose oil is an essential ingredient in perfumes production.
18. Bulgaria is one of the three along with Ireland and Scotland that use the bagpipe as an instrument. The bagpipe is called ‘’gaida’’ in Bulgaria and it is a traditional Bulgarian instrument.
19. The Lactobacillus bulgaricus can be found only in Bulgaria and gives the unique taste of yogurt. Bulgarian yogurt is recognized as the best in the world.
20. With the highest number of natural mineral springs in Europe, Bulgaria takes second places only after Iceland.
21. The first airbag was invented by Asen Jordanoff who has a Bulgarian origin.
22. Birthdays and ‘’Name Days’’ are celebrated and valued by people.
23. Bulgarian welcome the spring with Baba Marta on the 1st March. On that day Bulgarians give each other bracelets of white and red yarn, called martenitsa.
24. 14 February is a Wine-growers Day and people celebrate the love for wine called Trifon Zarezan instead of Valentine’s Day.
25. Peter Petroff developed the world’s first digital wristwatch.
26. John Vincent Atanasoff who has a Bulgarian origin, invented the first electronic computer.
27. In the 1994 World Cup, the Bulgarian national football team finished fourth.
28. The Bulgarian Stefka Kostadinova still keep the record for the high jump of the World Championships in Rome with 2.09 meters.
29. With a number of rare and endemic species, Bulgaria ranks third in Europe in biodiversity.
30. White, green and red, laid horizontally from top to bottom consists of three colors of The Bulgarian flag. The white is a symbol of hope, the green is a symbol for the wonderful nature, and the red is a symbol of the blood-soaked into our lands.
31. Bulgaria has 142 resorts – 26 marine resorts, 56 mountain resorts, and 58 balneological resorts.
32. 9 UNESCO sites in located in Bulgaria. 7 cultural sites (Rila Monastery, Ancient City of Nessebar, Boyana Church, Madara Rider, Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak, and the Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo) and 2 natural sites (Srebarna Nature Reserve and Pirin National Park).
33. Bulgaria is ranked as one of the countries with the fastest internet in Europe.
34. The Bulgarian women are among the most beautiful in the world.
35. Sofia has been ranked as one of the most affordable European capitals.
36. Just 15 minutes away from Vitosha Mountain is located the capital of Bulgaria, Sofia.
Don’t forget to check some of other facts about Bulgaria!